Weird & Unusual







 
 
When I was growing up I didn’t think my family was weird. 

My parents watched Star Trek. They listened to Rock-a-billy, James Brown,
The Jackson 5 and Cajun zeideco music. (weird)

I was encouraged to read, dance, have fun and be independent. 

As a young family we would go on short road trips just to drive around. Mom and Dad would listen to “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” or “Click & Clack” on NPR then let me and April listen to the Disney hour while eating ice cream in the back seat of our Aerostar minivan. 

Our adventures were great.
They were memorable.
We were and still are unique. 

It wasn’t until I was hanging out with other kids and their families when I discovered we were weird. All the things we did, together, became embarrassing. I wanted to be like everyone else. Boring, predictable and stale. 
 
But we were/are not boring...
 
Dad works the midnight shift and Mom works days.

Dad wears Russian hats in the winter yet his family is Jamaican.  He dresses like Blade the vampire and people call him the Daywalker.  He was a skateboarder dude and used to ride all over the neighborhood. (weird)

Mom can’t understand song lyrics so she just bobs her head and jams out.  She always asked me “What did you learn today?” when I called her at work after I got home from school.   Mom used to snap my bra strap and yell out ‘SNAP DRAGON” to be silly. (weird)

April, my favorite and best sister (my only sister), don’t even get me started on her!!  She has the best fake accents, she is a straight shooter, and is the queen of memes.  When we get talking who knows where that convo will end up.  Usually me in laughing tears on FaceTime and her snapping pics of my crazy faces. (weird)
 
Then there is me.  A combination of aaaaaalllllllll the weird in our family.  I quote random movies and I like to say funny words over and over again.  My jokes are pretty tired and old but I laugh at them like its the first time I've ever said/heard them.  I have about 19 different laughs and all of them are hilarious. 

Let's face it...we are ALL WEIRD! 
Each and every one of us on this Earth.
 
 
 

Now I love all the little things that make my family different. We are one of a kind and amazing. There is no other group like the 4 of us. We have inside jokes about the most random things and it keeps us connected.  We love each other so much and I am  grateful to have these beautiful memories.

 

Today I salute and appreciate the weird and unusual. 

I am weird. 

I come from a family of weird. 

I love it. 
Image result for ruby rhod gif






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugaring my Crown

Feel to Heal

2020